Almost every driver in this world has driven through rain or any sort of water before. Though it seems harmless, sometimes this water can cause some problems in your vehicle. For instance, you may hear a squealing, loud high pitched noise coming out of your hood. This may scare you, but there is nothing much to worry about.
Before riding in the rain, a healthy vehicle helps in preventing almost all these problems. Maintenance and servicing after a few months may help get rid of these. But here are some fixes if your engine is loud after rain. Generally, if your vehicle is making a squealing noise, there might be a few fixes for this. Most of the time, the noise dissipates after some time and loses noise. If this happens, a little patience can help fix it. If this doesn’t work, try some of these fixes.
- Wait for the noise to go away: If the noise goes away after a few seconds, there is no problem to need fixing. There is a couple of reason that is causing this noise, which we have been discussing below.
- Change the belts: Over time, our engine belts might lose their tension. As a result of the lost tension, the materials crumble. So over time, the belts break or crack. This is also dangerous as it can crack mid-drive. Changing the belts will most definitely get rid of this problem easily. Though a belt change can easily be fixed in 30 minutes at home, you can still take the help of professionals.
- Change the bearings: Just as with everything else, bearings are also damaged over time. With time, the increase in friction can cause many problems. Including noises, so, a change of bearings will definitely help the cause.
- Changing the engine muffler: Another problem with the noise can be a damaging muffler. To suppress the noise, the muffler works. So with time, damage to the muffler of the engine can cause a low humming sound. This can be worsened if rainwater goes in as well.
- Cleaning the belts of the engine: If you drive in dusty weather and rainy wet areas, cleaning your engine belts with a brush can help get rid of these noises. During this, you can either use water pressure as a tool to clean the mud or dirt. Also, WD 40 or any other strong spirit can be used to get rid of the debris. While using the WD 40, make sure you hit your targets and get under the belt and the wanted areas.
What causes an engine to make a loud sound after rain?
Generally, there are some reasons that cause these noises. Along with these noises, the temperature and smoothness of your engine may hamper. So, here are some of the common reasons for these noises.
- The first and foremost reason for these noises is the entering of dust materials or water. In dusty weather, the rain can bring some dust particles into your engine belt. This dust along with rain water gets trapped in your engine belt. When the belt starts rotating at a fast speed, this noise is created from the friction. So, cleaning the belt with a brush can help get rid of these noises. This also creates heat and friction as well. Sometimes we need to use a scraping tool or some strong pressure to get the dirt out as they get stuck into the rubber of the material.
- Sometimes, a lack of maintaining your vehicle can also cause these sounds. As said above, the usage of older parts can cause noise. Belts, mufflers, bearing, fans, and so on tend to crumble after some time. So, these end up causing humming or high pitch loud noises after starting. This noise is worsened when it rains or in dusty weather overall.
Preventions and precautions to loud noises from your vehicle after raining
Along with the given steps to fix this problem, there is also prevention. These steps can be taken beforehand to prevent these noises. There are also some steps that can be taken afterward to ensure that the tour vehicle is frictionless and noiseless. Here are the steps:
- Ensuring cleaning and maintaining your engine parts can prevent these. As mentioned above, water and small dust particles clog up the belts of the engine. This causes noise a lot of the time. So, cleaning the belts after some time can help get rid of them. Cleaning after driving in muddy places after rain can help more.
- Maintaining the quality of the parts of your engine. While buying, look to buy good quality bearings or belts or other parts of the engine. This takes some spending, but it is worth it overall. More durable and rigid parts of engines can help them last longer and not break or crack. This prevents friction, preventing heat and noises of the engine. Which ultimately helps your vehicle run smoother and noiseless.
- To ensure that the mud does not get in, rough driving in rainy weather can be ensured. Sharp turns and sometimes faster runs can cause these ducts to clog the engine. This can be both dangerous and annoying to live on. So, this precaution can help the noises go away. In the meantime, it also helps keep the vehicle and its parts clean and tidy.
So, these are the reasons why the squealing sound comes from your car. We also provide some precautions and how to get rid of them. Hopefully, the steps will be enough to solve the problem. Generally, this sound can be very annoying, and getting rid of it makes a good relief. So, make sure to follow the steps and precautions and keep your vehicle tidy. Also, as mentioned above, keeping the vehicle parts string will help get rid of most problems. In conclusion, pay some attention to that point and have a good ride!